Monday, September 1, 2014

Movin' On...

Yup, it’s been 6 months since we flew from Chiang Mai to Seattle!  What have we been up to?  Visiting friends and family, working, celebrating birthdays, taking in some Seattle/Northwest sights, enjoying free summer events around town, watching the world change from a distance, praying for countries and people, figuring out ‘what’s next’, and “resting”? 

This word “furlough” is still something I am trying to figure out.  This is the term that many missionaries use when they are returning to their home country for a time of rest or break from their extended time in a foreign country.  Dictionary.com defines furlough like this:

1.     A vacation or leave of absence granted to an enlisted person.

2.     A usually temporary layoff from work.

3.     A temporary leave of absence authorized for a prisoner from a penitentiary.

And I’m still trying to figure it out…because honestly none of these 3 definitions apply to the last few months of our life.  So here I sit trying to put words to what should be so easy to explain.

One of the fun things for me has been working (yes, I said fun) almost full time out of the house for the last 3 months at a Marriott hotel 10 minutes from our apartment.  In my 20’s I worked my way up in hotel management before getting married and having my beautiful daughters. In 2006, I went through a very low valley in the hospitality business and, to say it nicely, my confidence was shaken.  These last few months have revitalized me and reminded me of the experience and knowledge that have been lying dormant inside.  God has been so faithful to heal and awaken my confidence when I didn’t even realize how broken I had been. 

Sheraz has been very busy caring for the girls while I have been working, and even admitted out loud that staying home with the kids is HARDER than going outside to work every day!  A true testament to all of us ladies who have stayed home at some time or another.  More than having satisfaction of him admitting this is a challenge, is just having him understand my life as a stay home parent. 

In his “free” time Sheraz has been finishing up school and figuring out the next step for our family.  And after a few applications and references we are on to the next adventure in God’s great plan.  Sheraz has been accepted in Evanston, IL (just north of Chicago) to learn theological education and social justice, which will give him the knowledge and theological education as we move forward to work in South Asia along-side pastors and the socially deprived.  So the time has come for us to pack up our Seattle Seahawks t-shirts and scarf and head to the Midwest!

Right now we are in the “what’s the best way to get us and our few belongings moved” phase, and realizing how pricey moving across country can be.  If you have done a move like this and have advice, I will gladly take it. 

I think that as workers in the field that we are in, each of us has a different idea of what a furlough should look like and then when we are in the time of furlough it’s not what we expected.  Even though different than expected I am so thankful for these last few months with family and friends.  One thing I know for sure whether in a foreign country or on home soil, we must be SO intentional about making time to spend with one another.  Unfortunately life is busy and there are many worldly “shiny things” to distract and steal our time from having the real relationships that are the most important. 

Here are a few pictures to share what we have been up to and how the girls are growing.


 Zarah & Keziah's 2nd Birthday
May 2014
Minnie Mouse Theme



Cute Sister Birthday Photo Shoot




Family Ferry Ride to visit Friends
The girls LOVED going on the "big boat"
July 2014


Hope Learning to Play Soccer
This Summer!
July / August 2014


Space Needle Visit
Seattle, WA
August 2014


Hope's 7th Birthday
Frozen Theme
August 2014




God Bless you & Thank you for taking time to check in on us today!  

Walking with Him while traveling,
Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment