...had a bad "mom" day to start today...
...living the house hunting life...
...constant fundraising for survival...
...planning for the 4th of July...
...finding coupon-ing deals to pack my mom's bags 6 months away...
...constant battle of the budge...
........oh, and did I mention that I have a husband in full-time master's degree school & 3 kids??
I think when you have a lot to do and think about, a calm
moment comes and I really cherish that time. The other day I
had one of those moments just watching my husband feed the dogs and talking
with him, instead of having my head in the computer, and it really made me think "how would life be if computers and internet had never been introduced to us?"
Being so far away from friends and family, I tend to be near my computer more than I should. Getting to see what people are doing are getting to chat gives me the comfort of home. The downside to that is that I feel like it literally takes me away from friends and family here.
What did people do before computers? More involved with each other’s
daily activities, more uninterrupted conversations, in general more
time together? I definitely think that I would spend more focused attention with my husband and kids if I "unplugged" myself from the computer. For sure this is an area that is taking away from my kids. I thank God for showing me this time stealer before it is too late. Years from now, when the girls are grown I don't want to regret wasting the time I have with them.
And on the flip side it is hard, because we are so thankful to have such amazing resources to keep in close contact while living halfway around the world. I guess like any other worldly possession (i.e. money, food, clothes, shoes, etc.) computers and the internet are all about moderation, and not letting it overtake your life.
For me it is TIME to make a change...I would love to hear your thoughts and struggles on this issue! Please leave a comment.
This is my life of as a traveling mother!
Jennifer
Thank you for sharing this !
ReplyDeleteHI Jen,
ReplyDeleteYes, I know what you mean about feeling connected but it does come with a cost. I disconnect from other things while I connect via the web. I did a facebook fast and it was really good for me. Best with making whatever changes are necessary. --heather