I've had the same head of hair for 37 years now. And probably just like you, have had hairstyles long, short, mid, layers, curly, straight, and probably more. Recently I've been growing my hair long, but with the heat here in Thailand I just had to cut it. After some debating in my mind about if I should (and a little nudge from my husband) we went to the mall today with the kids to play & probably look for a hair salon. Being that we are in Thailand & I don't speak more than a few sentences in the Thai language, I told Sheraz I wasn't going to get it cut unless the hairdresser understood English and I could explain exactly what I wanted done with my hair. Well, that was MY plan.
After walking away from Sheraz and the girls, I was headed to find a good salon with an English speaking hairdresser. Knowing that I have a very "resourceful" (a.k.a. cheap) husband, I found a place that cost less than another that we had seen. After sitting down, a few minutes later the shampoo lady took me to the back....but wait I hadn't talked to anyone in English about how I would like my hair cut. As I was getting my hair washed, my mind was still debating whether to cut it all off or just get a trim & thin out the long hair. Now I'm sitting in the chair to get my hair cut, my hairdresser walks up and I say, "'Do you speak English?", she replies, "No" very sternly....my heart sinks & I think 'is this really happening?'.
As I point to a picture in a binder of how I would like my hair cut short in the back with some length in the front, her eyes grow about 10x. She looks at my long hair & the picture with her BIG eyes (and still no smiling) and then starts yelling in Thai to one of the other hairdressers who apparently does speak English. He talks to me about cutting my hair, then speaks to her in Thai and gradually her eyes return to the normal size.
While I'm sitting there watching her literally chop my hair, I begin to pray and talk to God about how I was feeling...a little nervous to say the least. But this overwhelming peace came over me as God said to me, "Don't you trust me with your hair?" It seems like such a small thing in the big picture of life (especially living life by faith). Most of you women reading this can understand how much importance we get from our hair, and a bad cut can make a huge impact. How many of you have cried after a haircut? Me too, but thankfully not today. I put a smile on my face and took the time to pray for the woman who stood behind me without a smile. God had brought me to that place to sit in that chair and meet this woman, and I trust Him.
End of the haircut, and it's not exactly what I had in mind...but it's okay. And after a few simple Thai & English words we were able to share, I'm hoping some of the Lord's Joy has rubbed off into her life from the smile and peace He gave me instead of fear and frustration that could have erupted. I'm so thankful for GOD's plan :-).
After all that I figure you want to see my new hair cut, so here's a little peek
I am SO looking forward to having a cooler head of hair in this 100 degree weather!
This is the life of a Traveling Mother!
Jennifer

No comments:
Post a Comment